New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ZZW30
Pischello della Domenica

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  19:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, I thought I would sign up and see what the MR2 scene is like in Italy, there are a few of us from the UK (mostly MR2roc members) coming to Italy at the end of May for a weeks holiday, we will be in Tuscany. I think there will be around 8 Roadsters in our group, who knows, we might be able to organise a get together in the area.

pietromr2
Turbo Tonante

Italy
1771 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  20:33:39  Show Profile  Visit pietromr2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome!
Our members from Tuscany will be proud to give you some advices
Hve you already decided your route?
In may there's also the "millemiglia" 12-15 may!

TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2013 N°119
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2012 N°129
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2011 n.110 - 2010 n.110 - 2009 n.149
Go to Top of Page

ZZW30
Pischello della Domenica

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  20:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome.. we will be in Tuscanny from the 28th of May so will miss the millemiglia, our route will be taking us to Metz for an over night stop, then it will be on to Austria for a stop in Rifenal, from there we will travel to Tuscany. The finer details of the route have yet to be finalised, but we won't be doing toll roads as we want to take the scenic route.
Go to Top of Page

Tenz
Biella Fumante

Italy
302 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  09:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice, if I have some spare time I will try to join your tour to Tuscany! Sounds cool! So you will drive around with an Italian guy that looks like more Scottish than you :P

TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2015 N°110
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2011 N°127
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2010 N°151
Go to Top of Page

ZZW30
Pischello della Domenica

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  22:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per alcuni di voi che sono o saranno, nella zona in quel momento Toscana, tenere un look out for 8 MR2e una Ford.. miniera è simile a questa...

Ci scusiamo per il mio povero italiano... http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-italian/

Edited by - ZZW30 on 17 Jan 2011 22:32:31
Go to Top of Page

torakiki
Biella Fumante

Italy
195 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  23:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ciao e benvenuto tra i ragazzi italiani delle mr2!
la toscana è bellissima, sia come posti che come cibo, sicuramente non resterai deluso!
P.S. la mie Exige arriva direttamente dall'UK..!!

vendo MR2 GT veilside http://forum.mr2.it/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9331
Go to Top of Page

ZZW30
Pischello della Domenica

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  23:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again everyone, only 2weeks until we start on our journey to your beautiful country, this is where we will be staying from 28/05/2011 returning homeward on 04/06/2011

http://www.agni.gr/travel/Italy/Casa_Rossa/index.asp

If anyone is in the area and wants to drop by and say hello, you will be welcomed.
Go to Top of Page

alex82
Divinità Assoluta

Czech Republic
4172 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  11:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many cars do you think will come?

TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2022 N°102
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2021 N°102
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2020 N°102
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2019 N°102
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2018 N°102
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2017 N°108
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2016 N°113
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2015 N°106
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2014 N°125
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2013 N°117
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2012 N°115
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2011 N°109
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2010 n°114
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2009 n°130
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2008 n°110
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2007 n°...
TESSERA SOCIO TITOLARE 2006 n°...

Go to Top of Page

ZZW30
Pischello della Domenica

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  19:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there will be 6 MR2's and 1 other car.
Go to Top of Page

ZZW30
Pischello della Domenica

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  18:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the last couple of weeks both Caroline and I, along with a few good friends made a trip to Tuscany and had a fantastic holiday. Our travels first took us down to Peterborough where we met up with another couple and spent the night in a fantastic farm house. In the morning we left for Dover where we met up with more friends and borded the ferry to Dunkirk.

We drove down through France to Metz where we stayed overnight in a baisic, but functional B&B, just around the corner was a superb resteraunt called The Crocodile which served really nice food with as much pudding and drinks (wine, beer or soft drinks) as you wanted from a buffet type set up.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.restaurantscrocodile.fr/fr/restaurants/metz-augny/&ei=-HzvTZaxAomxhQf6nYS0CQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcrocodile%2Brestaurant%2Bmetz%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1618%26bih%3D877%26prmd%3Divnsm

We spent much of the night in there laughing and joking and enjoying our evening, it all came to an end too soon though as we were up early in the morning to start our journey through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and on to Rifanel in Austria... we did manage to sneak in the backdoor to Switzerland as one of the waypoints took us up a mountain trail, only to find we had a U-turn at the top and had to return back the way we came, for those that don't know, Switzerland isn't what you might call modified car friendly, it's a bit of a no no lol.. so our route had to avoid it, luckily the farmer we came passed was only too happy to see us.

This part of the trip was where the roads began to get good, we were heading into the Alps avoiding the motorways and going up and over.The views we were treated to were something elae, absolutely jaw dropping, Although it was pouring down for much of the journey it didn't ruin anything... well except for being unable to get the roof down, we still managed to enjoy the roads and the scenery, the low clouds made for some spectacular mountain views, looking down and seeing clouds covering the roads you just drove up is amazing.

The weather cleared for certain parts of the trip and the sun came out, top was put down and so was the right foot, tearing down the road, breaking hard for the hairpin and turning in sharp only to be treated to another hairpin 100 yards along the road. We had hours of this, but it sure made the journey time go in fast without any of the aches and pains you would get from sitting on a motorway.

After a few hours of fun we arrived at our Hotel in Austria, which was high in the mountains, snow covered peaks to all sides with ski lifts going up the mountains, honestly.. the views in this place were to die for....

...to say I would have been happy to spend a week there is an understatement, the views, the roads and the relaxing (but fun) atmosphere was excellent.

Time to leave Austria and start out jorney to Italy, more driving through the Alps and around hairpin after hairpin dropping down the other side.. my ears were popping as we got further and further down. The roads began to straighten and level out and soon enough we had the Alps behind us and flat roads ahead of us. By this time the sun was out and temperatures were rising, top was down and limbs were burning. We continued the journey along some motorways, dual carraigeways and also through towns and villages, stopping for fuel and food along the way. Everytime we stopped people were looking at the cars... not just in Italy, but everywhere, we had only seen one other MR2 Roadster on our route.. and that was on the M20 to Dover lol. We stopped for fuel where an attendant filled our cars for us saying something like "Dare alcuni" which means "give it some", so we left a few number 11's in the forecourt of the garage and floored it down the slip road, looking behind we could see the guy watching as 6 roadsters, a lotus elise and a focus st tore onto the motorway, typical Italian style lol.

As we got closer to the villa all we could see was vineyards everywhere.. it was red wine region, the pace of life was slower and so were the speed limits :lol: We arrived at the villa, got booked in, unpacked and relaxed by the pool before finding a resteraunt for dinner, after dinner we had a few drinks before bed, an early night as we were all a little tired from 10 hours driving that day.

During the course of the next 7 days we toured around the local area, visiting the local vineyards and shops and generally having fun on the local twisty roads, we also had to visit the town of Certaldo for a supermarket to stock up on essentials for the villa.. it was during one of our visits to town the word that is going to be most assosiated with the trip was hears, with the hot weather, dusty roads and hot tyres we somehow manged to wheelspin out of junctions quite a lot to be greeted by shouts of "buco del sedere" from the locals... we looked up the meaning and were laughing hard about it, look it up yourselves to know the meaning. Everytime one of us done or said something stupid, or if we saw someone else doing something stupid we would shout the same phrase, we even looked it up in 4 different languages for our journey home :lol:

During the week we had a couple of excursions to some of the more touristy places, we visited Sienna and San Gimignano, as you will see from the photo's it is an amazing place to visit.

It wasn't all fun and games though, unfortunately we lost one of the cars. Les and Anne were driving along a slightly damp road, it had brand new tarmac on it and he was only driving at around 30 mph, he rounded a bend and the back end somehow stepped out, Jason, who was behind him in his lotus saw it happen.. at first his thoughts were that he could catch it, the as it stepped further out he still thought he could catch it.. it then became apparent that the car got past the point of no return and would spin, Jason thought fine.. at least he will be able to drive away with verry little or no damage, then the car hit the verge and flipped onto it's side, jason thought that it would fall back onto it's wheels as it was going so slowly, but Les' luck was out as the car slowly rolled over and landed on it's roof... totalled.

Les and Anne both walked away 100% fine, but the car looks to be dead.. and is still in Italy.

That night was a little sombre, however we did have fun with Les talking about his many roadtrips in the car and how well it has looked after him and Anne over the years, it also looked after them well in the acident.

After another day of relaxaing by the pool, it was time to start our journey home, we all got our cars ready whilst Les and Anne waited for their taxi, there insurance deceided to fly them home, so we said our goodbyes to them and set off for our return leg to Austria, we deceided to take the quicker route home on the toll road so we could spend more time in Austria, but Jason (Lotus Elise) wanted to take in the Dolomites on his way back...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjx59R8yEc

... so in the interests of safety in numbers Caroline and I deceided we would go along with him, I'm glad we did, what a place!... I drove at my own pace whilst Jason went in front, he stopped a couple of times to let us catch up but still got the fun he wanted, even at the pace I was going I still encountered a lot of break fade towards the end :lol:

We eventually arrived back at the hotel in Austria where the others were waiting for us, by this time we were down to 4 cars.... 2 roadsters, the lotus and the focus st, after our evening meal the focus owner deceided he was going to bed early to get an early start (3.00am) to head home without the final stop over in Metz, so we said our goodbyes to them, had a few drinks and went for a walk around the mountain area of the hotel... soon we were in bed for a 7;00am start for Metz.

Back to mundane motorways for this part of the journey, after a good few hours we got back to Metz and the Crocodile resteraunt, had a good night chatting, eating and drinking. In the morning it was time to head home.. we set off for Dover at 9:30 am, caught the ferry at 4:00pm, relaxed on the ferry for two hours before heading north arriving home at 2.00am the folowing morning.

What a trip, what a holiday.. amazing.. If you haven't considered a trip like this before I suggest you should.. you would love every minute of it.

If you have read this all I thank you.. sorry it's a bit long.. enjoy the photos.

There are more photos here...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v246/cfc/Tuscany%20Road%20Trip/?start=all
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2004-14 by MR2.ita.co Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000